Max Astri Optometrist’s is one of the older independently owned Optometrist practices in Australia. The practice began in the 1890’s by Herman Fischer. Since the 1890’s, the practice has had four owners. Max Astri began practice in partnership with the late Perce Robson in 1977 and assumed full control of the practice in 1983. The practice has a reputation for clinical excellence and has a very close working relationship with leading ophthalmologists.
The practice has always been prepared to innovate and has always been at the forefront of technology. We were of the first Optometrist practices to routinely dilate patients for the most comprehensive retinal examination, rather than “dilate on indication”. We were the first practice in the central west to introduce ocular coherence tomography OCT and digital retinal imaging, and has recently acquired the most advanced scanning laser retinal ophthalmoscope or SLR to better image all forms of retinal diseases, including macular degeneration, glaucoma and diabetic eye disease.
We are one of the first, if not the first Optometrist practice in Australia to offer anterior and posterior segment ocular coherence tomography (OCT), together with scanning laser retinography (SLR) at the one location. Among our recent acquisitions are the MPOD Macula Pigment Density Analyser and the TearLab to measure tear osmolarity.